Re: Anonymous code block with parameters

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: Anonymous code block with parameters
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 2014-09-17 22:17:22 +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> > > Sure, why not.
> >
> > Because you still have to do
> >
> >     SELECT pg_temp.my_temp_function(blah);
> >
> > to execute it.
> >

> this problem should be solvable. I can to use a temporary tables without
> using pg_temp schema.

I fail to see why that is so much preferrable for you to passing
parameter to DO?

1) You need to think about unique names for functions
2) Doesn't work on HOT STANDBYs
3) Causes noticeable amount of catalog bloat
4) Is about a magnitude or two more expensive

1. I am not against simple DO, what doesn't substitute functions

2. When DO have to substitute functions, then I don't see a benefits

Show me real use case please?

Pavel

So yes, TEMPORARY FUNCTION would be helpful. But it's simply a different
feature.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

--