Re: psql: show only failed queries

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: psql: show only failed queries
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 9:06 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi

>> > fixed
>>
>> $ psql -b
>> bin/psql: invalid option -- 'b'
>> Try "psql --help" for more information.
>>
>> I got this error. ISTM you forgot to add 'b' into the third argument of
>> getopt_long in startup.c.
>>

> fixed
>

>>          <application>psql</application> merely prints all queries as
>>          they are sent to the server. The switch for this is
>> -        <option>-e</option>.
>> only
>> +        failed queries are displayed.
>>
>> I think that where failed queries are output should be documented here.
>> Otherwise users might misunderstand they are output to standard output
>> like ECHO=all and queries do.
>>
>> It's better to add "The switch for this is <option>-b</option>." into the
>> doc.
>

> fixed
>

>> +    else if (strcmp(prev2_wd, "\\set") == 0)
>> +    {
>> +        if (strcmp(prev_wd, "ECHO") == 0)
>> +        {
>> +            static const char *const my_list[] =
>> +            {"none", "errors", "queries", "all", NULL};
>> +
>> +            COMPLETE_WITH_LIST_CS(my_list);
>> +        }
>> +        else if (strcmp(prev_wd, "ECHO_HIDDEN") == 0)
>> +        {
>> +            static const char *const my_list[] =
>> +            {"noexec", "off", "on", NULL};
>> +
>> +            COMPLETE_WITH_LIST_CS(my_list);
>> +        }
>> +    }
>>
>> I think that adding tab-completions of psql variables is good, but
>> adding those of only ECHO and ECHO_HIDDEN seems half-baked.
>> Probably this part should be split into separate patch.
>

> fixed
>
> please, see updated patch in attachment

Thanks for updating the patch!

Barring any objection, I will commit this patch except tab-completion part.

Thank you

I'm not against adding tab-completion support for psql variables, but I'm
not sure if it's good idea or not to treat only one or two variables special
and add tab-completions for them. There are other variables which accept
special argument (e.g., COMP_KEYWORD_CASE) and it's basically worth
adding tab-completion support for them.

It can be a second discussion, but I am thinking so anywhere when we can use autocomplete, then we should it - Although it should not to substitute documentation, it is fast help about available options, mainly in situation where variables can hold a relative different content. I can prepare, if there will not any objection addition patch with complete autocomplete for all psql variables described in doc.

Regards

Pavel

Regards,

--