Re: PL/pgSQL 1.2

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: PL/pgSQL 1.2
Дата
Re: PL/pgSQL 1.2  (Joel Jacobson <joel@trustly.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 11:07 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> it is different semantic - returns composite or set of composites  --- it is
> not row or rows

The point was, RETURNS returns 1 while RETURNS SETOF returns 0 .. n.

no RETURNS return "VALUE" (it is not a row) .. and in combination with SELECT - value will be a row. RETURNS SETOF returns rows

Set Returning Functions is interesting concept, but with some issues too - when you use it in target part instead FROM part.

> Actually BL is usually processed oriented, so PL functions coverages changes
> in data, and for queries you use SELECT

OK, so you SELECT directly from tables?
And in the PLs you change a lot of rows in the same txn?

depends - if you be more strict, then direct access to tables is prohibited and only access to views is enables.

There is simple rules: reading - selects to tables or views, writing PL -- data are changes inside some process and any process should be covered by one or more PL

hard to say, how often you are change only one row maybe 50/50% -- when you need fix some stored data. Insert or delete will be different

> Returning SET from function is less often - and usually it is not in
> preferred patterns because you can very simple block a optimizer.

Not if you do all access, also SELECT via PLs, then you might want to returns
lists of things based on some input.

But that's a different topic. What I wanted to examplify is the fact
we *already*
have a lot of syntax which handles the 1 row case in a special way.

I know what is CRUD, and I looked to your functions from github and I understand to your motivation. Just have different opinion about benefits of some your proposal, because I use plpgsql little bit different. Using PL only for CRUD is stopping in 1/10 way :).

Pavel