Re: Re: PostgreSQL needs percentage function

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: Re: PostgreSQL needs percentage function
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Hi,
I know how to implement this. It's not the issue.
It's very easy to implement absolute value as well yet still PostgreSQL gives abs(x) function which is build in function.
My claim is that if there is a build in function for absolute value why not for percentage? Both are very basic mathematical operations.

Can you give a good reason why absolute value has a build in function while percentage is not?

probably history

abs is some basic functions - the implementation is not primitive. Percent function is maybe in spreadsheets, but I don't remember this function from any classic language - more it can be simply implemented by numeric operators.

In this case, I am not a fan of this functions, you can write just 25 * 0.20

Regards

Pavel

ב דצמ׳ 18, 2017 17:44, hubert depesz lubaczewski כתב:
On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 02:23:38PM +0200, Nick Dro wrote:
> Hi,
> Why PostgreSQL doesn't have build-in function to calculate percentage?
> somthing like percent(number,%
> for example:
> select percent(100,1) will calculate 1% of 100 = 1
> select percent(25,20) will calculate 20% of 25 = 5
What is the problem with using normal multiplication for this?
depesz

От: Geoff Winkless
Сообщение: Re: Re: PostgreSQL needs percentage function
От: "David G. Johnston"
Сообщение: Re: Re: PostgreSQL needs percentage function