Re: proposal - function string_to_table

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: proposal - function string_to_table
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

pá 21. 8. 2020 v 9:44 odesílatel Peter Smith <smithpb2250@gmail.com> napsal:
On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 5:21 AM Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

> new patch attached

Thanks for taking some of my previous review comments.

I have re-checked the string_to_table_20200820.patch.

Below are some remaining questions/comments:

====

COMMENT (help text)

+        Splits the <parameter>string</parameter> at occurrences
+        of <parameter>delimiter</parameter> and forms the remaining data
+        into a <type>text</type> tavke.

What did you mean by "remaining" in that description?
It gets a bit strange thinking about remaining NULLs, or remaining
empty strings.

Why not just say "... and forms the data into a <type>text</type> table."

---

+        Splits the <parameter>string</parameter> at occurrences
+        of <parameter>delimiter</parameter> and forms the remaining data
+        into a <type>text</type> tavke.

Typo: "tavke." -> "table."

This text is taken from doc for string_to_array

====

COMMENT (help text reference to regexp_split_to_table)

+        input <parameter>string</parameter> can be done by function
+        <function>regexp_split_to_table</function> (see <xref
linkend="functions-posix-regexp"/>).
+       </para>

In the previous review I suggested adding a reference to the
regexp_split_to_table function.
A hyperlink would be a bonus, but maybe it is not possible.

The hyperlink added in the latest patch is to page for POSIX Regular
Expressions, which doesn't seem appropriate.

ok I remove it

====

QUESTION (test cases)

Thanks for merging lots of my additional test cases!

Actually, the previous PDF I sent was 2 pages long but you only merged
the tests of page 1.
I wondered was it accidental to omit all those 2nd page tests?

I'll check it

====

QUESTION (function name?)

I noticed that ALL current string functions that use delimiters have
the word "split" in their name.

e.g.
* regexp_split_to_array
* regexp_split_to_table
* split_part

But "string_to_table" is not following this pattern.

Maybe a different choice of function name would be more consistent
with what is already there?
e.g.  split_to_table, string_split_to_table, etc.

I don't agree. This function is twin (with almost identical behaviour) for "string_to_array" function, so I think so the name is correct.

====

Kind Regards,
Peter Smith.
Fujitsu Australia