Re: AXLE Plans for 9.5 and 9.6

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: AXLE Plans for 9.5 and 9.6
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 04/22/2014 06:39 AM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> I agree, and indeed that was something like my first reaction to hearing
> about this development - FDW seems like a very odd way to handle this.
> But the notion of builtin columnar storage suggests to me that we really
> need first to tackle how various storage engines might be incorporated
> into Postgres. I know this has been a bugbear for many years, but maybe
> now with serious proposals for alternative storage engines on the
> horizon we can no longer afford to put off the evil day when we grapple
> with it.

Yes.  *IF* PostgreSQL already supported alternate storage, then the
Citus folks might have released their CStore as a storage plugin instead
of an FDW.  However, if they'd waited for pluggable storage, they'd
still be waiting.

I am sceptical - what I know about OLAP column store databases - they need a hardly different planner, so just engine or storage is not enough. Vector Wise try to merge Ingres with Monet engine more than four years - and still has some issues.

Our extensibility is probably major barrier against fast OLAP - I see a most realistic way to support better partitioning and going in direction higher parallelism and distribution - and maybe map/reduce support.

In GoodData we use successfully Postgres for BI projects to 20G with fast response - and most painfulness are missing MERGE, missing fault tolerant copy, IO expensive update of large tables with lot of indexes and missing simple massive partitioning. On second hand - Postgres works perfectly on thousands databases with thousands tables without errors with terrible simple deploying in cloud environment.

Regards

Pavel

--
Josh Berkus