Re: proposal: contrib module - generic command scheduler

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: proposal: contrib module - generic command scheduler
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 5/14/15 1:36 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
    I don't think we want to log statements, but we should be able to
    log when a job has run and whether it succeeded or not. (log in a
    table, not just a logfile).

    This isn't something that can be done at higher layers either; only
    the scheduler will know if the job failed to even start, or whether
    it tried to run the job.

I don't agree - generic scheduler can run your procedure, and there you
can log start, you can run other commands and you can log result (now
there is no problem to catch any production nonfatal exception).

And what happens when the job fails to even start? You get no logging.

Is only one case - when job is not started due missing worker. Else where is started topend executor, that can run in protected block.

Personally I afraid about responsibility to maintain this log table -
when and by who it should be cleaned, who can see results, ... This is
job for top end scheduler.

Only if the top-end scheduler has callbacks for everytime the bottom-end scheduler tries to start a job. Otherwise, the top has no clue what the bottom has actually attempted.

sure.

To be clear, I don't think these need to be done in a first pass. I am concerned about not painting ourselves into a corner though.

I understand

Regards

Pavel

Сообщение: Re: BackendPidGetProc doesn't return PGPROC for background worker?
Сообщение: Re: BackendPidGetProc doesn't return PGPROC for background worker?