Re: Tackling JsonPath support

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: Tackling JsonPath support
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi

On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 1:44 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wrote XMLTABLE function, and I am thinking about JSON_TABLE function. But
> there is one blocker - missing JsonPath support in our JSON implementation.
>
> So one idea - implement JsonPath support and related JSON query functions.
> This can help with better standard conformance.

Hi Pavel,

Are you still looking for someone to add the JsonPath support to the
JSON implementation?  And if so, how urgently are people waiting for
it?

yes - JsonPath support should be great. I hope so this or next commitfest the XMLTABLE patch will be committed, and with JsonPath I can start to work on JSON_TABLE function.

But the JsonPath can be merged separately without dependency to JSON_TABLE. There are more JSON searching functions, and these functions should to support JsonPath be ANSI SQL compliant.

I'd be happy to start working on a patch, but since I'm new to PG
development, I'm probably not the fastest person to get it done.

It is not problem. Probably you should to do this work without deep knowledges about PostgreSQL internals. The work with data types (and functions for data types) is well isolated from PostgreSQL engine.

You can learn from current searching on JSON -  postgresql/src/backend/utils/adt/json.c

And it is good start to be PostgreSQL's hacker - I started with implementation of own data type and related functions.

Regards

Pavel

Kind regards,
Christian