Re: PATCH: logical_work_mem and logical streaming of large in-progress transactions

От Dilip Kumar
Тема Re: PATCH: logical_work_mem and logical streaming of large in-progress transactions
Дата
Re: PATCH: logical_work_mem and logical streaming of large in-progress transactions  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 5:08 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 7:17 PM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Your changes look fine to me.  Additionally, I have changed a test
> > case of getting the streaming changes in 0002.  Instead of just
> > showing the count, I am showing that the transaction is actually
> > streaming.
> >

> If you want to show the changes then there is no need to display 157
> rows probably a few (10-15) should be sufficient.  If we can do that
> by increasing the size of the row then good, otherwise, I think it is
> better to retain the test to display the count.

I think in existing test cases also we are displaying multiple lines
e.g. toast.out is showing 235 rows.  But maybe I will try to reduce it
to the less number of rows.

> Today, I have again looked at the first patch
> (v42-0001-Extend-the-logical-decoding-output-plugin-API-wi) and didn't
> find any more problems with it so planning to commit the same unless
> you or someone else want to add more to it.   Just for ease of others,
> "the next patch extends the logical decoding output plugin API with
> stream methods".   It adds seven methods to the output plugin API,
> adding support for streaming changes for large in-progress
> transactions. The methods are stream_start, stream_stop, stream_abort,
> stream_commit, stream_change, stream_message, and stream_truncate.
> Most of this is a simple extension of the existing methods, with the
> semantic difference that the transaction (or subtransaction) is
> incomplete and may be aborted later (which is something the regular
> API does not really need to deal with).
>
> This also extends the 'test_decoding' plugin, implementing these new
> stream methods.  The stream_start/start_stop are used to demarcate a
> chunk of changes streamed for a particular toplevel transaction.
>
> This commit simply adds these new APIs and the upcoming patch to
> "allow the streaming mode in ReorderBuffer" will use these APIs.

LGTM

--
Regards,
Dilip Kumar