Re: GSoC proposal - "make an unlogged table logged"

От Fabrízio de Royes Mello
Тема Re: GSoC proposal - "make an unlogged table logged"
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 12:36 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Fabrízio de Royes Mello <fabriziomello@gmail.com> writes:
> Do you think is difficult to implement "ALTER TABLE ... SET UNLOGGED" too?
> Thinking in a scope of one GSoC, of course.

I think it's basically the same thing.  You might hope to optimize it;
but you have to create (rather than remove) an init fork, and there's
no way to do that in exact sync with the commit.  So for safety I think
you have to copy the data into a new relfilenode.

Hi all,

In the GSoC proposal page [1] I received some suggestions to strech goals:

* "ALTER TABLE name SET UNLOGGED". This is essentially the reverse of the core proposal, which is "ALTER TABLE name SET LOGGED". Yes, I think that should definitely be included. It would be weird to have SET LOGGED but not SET UNLOGGED.

* Allow unlogged indexes on logged tables.

* Implement "ALTER TABLE name SET LOGGED" without rewriting the whole table, when wal_level = minimal.

* Allow unlogged materialized views.

Comments?