Re: A general Q about index

От soroosh sardari
Тема Re: A general Q about index
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 7:00 PM, David Johnston <polobo@yahoo.com> wrote:
David Johnston wrote

> soroosh sardari wrote
>> Hi
>>
>> I want to know how an index is created and used.
>> actually if you can show to me a simple start point, it would be great.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Soroosh Sardari
> In the documentation there is a table of contents and listed on that table
> is a section named "Indexes".
>
> David J.

Since you posted this to hacker you may mean you wish to know how to program
them as oppose to use them in SQL.  I have no clue to this regard.  If you
did mean "use in SQL" then the documentation is your friend and you also
should not have posted this question to -hackers but to -general instead;
probably should have posted there anyway to begin with and been more clear
as to what you mean by "created and used".

David J.

Actually  I mean the index in the source code, I want to know how index is used in the backend for
execution of some query.
sorry my question is a bit ambiguous,
I start to read "src/backend/access/index/genam.c", and I think maybe this file is not good way to start.
let me write a bunch of question to illustrate my point,
-How create an index for a table with specified field
-How index is stored in a page
-what module is responsible to fetch and swap out index pages
-Is there a kind of abstract class for all variant of index?