Re: i.e. and e.g.

От John Naylor
Тема Re: i.e. and e.g.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 13, 2022 at 4:13 PM Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:

> At Wed, 13 Jul 2022 18:09:43 +0900 (JST), Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote in
> > I happened to see the message below.
> >
> > > WARNING:  new data directory should not be inside the old data directory, e.g. %s
> >
> > The corresponding code is
> >
> > > ... the old data directory, e.g. %s", old_cluster_pgdata);
> >
> > So, "e.g." (for example) in the message sounds like "that is", which I
> > think is "i.e.".  It should be fixed if this is correct.  I'm not sure
> > whether to keep using Latin-origin acronyms like this, but in the
> > attached I used "i.e.".

I did my own quick scan and found one use of i.e. that doesn't really fit, in a sentence that has other grammatical issues:

-        Due to the differences how ECPG works compared to Informix's ESQL/C (i.e., which steps
+        Due to differences in how ECPG works compared to Informix's ESQL/C (namely, which steps
         are purely grammar transformations and which steps rely on the underlying run-time library)
         there is no <literal>FREE cursor_name</literal> statement in ECPG. This is because in ECPG,
         <literal>DECLARE CURSOR</literal> doesn't translate to a function call into

I've pushed that in addition to your changes, thanks!

--
John Naylor
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com