Re: tables mysteriously truncated

От Vasilis Ventirozos
Тема Re: tables mysteriously truncated
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
an unlogged table will be truncated at database restart in case of a crash or unclean shutdown, could that be the case ?

Vasilis Ventirozos

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 7:36 PM, "Gabriel E. Sánchez Martínez" <gabrielesanchez@gmail.com> wrote:
I have run into an annoying issue several times.  After successfully populating a table with the COPY command, letting the server run auto-vacuum analyze, and being able to query the table without any issues for several days, the table suddenly appears to be empty.  In pgAdmin I see a large estimated number of rows, as it should be, but any SELECT to that table returns no rows, and SELECT COUNT(*) returns 0.  If I run an ANALYZE on that table and refresh pgAdmin, the estimated number of rows is reset to 0.  It is as if someone had run TRUNCATE on the table, but I cannot find TRUNCATE or DELETE statements on the logs, and the only users with the privileges to do so (my colleague and I) have not executed such statements.  The rest of the users can only select and reference.

I am running PostgreSQL 9.1.8 on Ubuntu 12.10 x86_64 server.  I have a master unlogged table with all the columns, no primary key, and no index.  This master_table has no data per se.  Then I have several partitions, created as follows:

CREATE UNLOGGED TABLE partition_1 ()
INHERITS (master_table)
WITH (OIDS = FALSE);

Each partition contains up to 20 million rows, and I have about 30 partitions.

I have three such sets of tables on the same database, and the issue has happened multiple times with two of the three sets of tables. Curiously, the one that has never been affected is a bit different: the master table contains a column id bigserial, which is a primary key.  Also, this table is logged.

Has anyone run into similar issues in the past?  Could this be a bug?

Thanks in advance.

-Gabriel