Re: pg_stat_progress_create_index vs. parallel index builds

От Matthias van de Meent
Тема Re: pg_stat_progress_create_index vs. parallel index builds
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2 Jun 2021 at 15:23, Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> On 6/2/21 3:03 PM, Matthias van de Meent wrote:
> > On Wed, 2 Jun 2021 at 13:57, Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> While experimenting with parallel index builds, I've noticed a somewhat
> >> strange behavior of pg_stat_progress_create_index when a btree index is
> >> built with parallel workers - some of the phases seem to be missing.
> >>
> >> In serial (no parallelism) mode, the progress is roughly this (it's
> >> always the first/last timestamp of each phase):
> >>
> >>                |   command    |             phase
> >> -------------+--------------+----------------------------------------
> >>    12:56:01 AM | CREATE INDEX | building index: scanning table
> >>    01:06:22 AM | CREATE INDEX | building index: scanning table
> >>    01:06:23 AM | CREATE INDEX | building index: sorting live tuples
> >>    01:13:10 AM | CREATE INDEX | building index: sorting live tuples
> >>    01:13:11 AM | CREATE INDEX | building index: loading tuples in tree
> >>    01:24:02 AM | CREATE INDEX | building index: loading tuples in tree
> >>
> >> So it goes through three phases:
> >>
> >> 1) scanning tuples
> >> 2) sorting live tuples
> >>
> >> But with parallel build index build, it changes to:
> >>
> >>                |   command    |             phase
> >> -------------+--------------+----------------------------------------
> >>    11:40:48 AM | CREATE INDEX | building index: scanning table
> >>    11:47:24 AM | CREATE INDEX | building index: scanning table (scan
> >>                  complete)
> >>    11:56:22 AM | CREATE INDEX | building index: scanning table
> >>    11:56:23 AM | CREATE INDEX | building index: loading tuples in tree
> >>    12:05:33 PM | CREATE INDEX | building index: loading tuples in tree
> >>
> >> That is, the "sorting live tuples" phase disappeared, and instead it
> >> seems to be counted in the "scanning table" one, as if there was an
> >> update of the phase missing.
> >
> >> I've only tried this on master, but I assume it behaves like this in the
> >> older releases too. I wonder if this is intentional - it sure is a bit
> >> misleading.
> >
> > This was a suprise to me as well. According to documentation in
> > sortsupport.h (line 125-129) the parallel workers produce pre-sorted
> > segments during the scanning phase, which are subsequently merged by
> > the leader. This might mean that the 'sorting' phase is already
> > finished during the 'scanning' phase by waiting for the parallel
> > workers; I haven't looked further if this is the case and whether it
> > could be changed to also produce the sorting metrics, but seeing as it
> > is part of the parallel workers API of tuplesort, I think fixing it in
> > current releases is going to be difficult.
> >

> Maybe. Perhaps it's more complicated to decide when to switch between
> phases with parallel workers. Still, the table scan is done after ~8
> minutes (based on blocks_total vs. blocks_done), yet we keep that phase
> for another ~9 minutes. It seems this is where the workers do the sort,
> so "sorting live tuples" seems like a more natural phase for this.

After looking at it a bit more, it seems like a solution was actually
easier than I'd expected. PFA a prototype (unvalidated, but
check-world -ed) patch that would add these subphases of progress
reporting, which can be backpatched down to 12.

Do note that this is a partial fix, as it only fixes it when the
leader participates; but I don't think that limitation is too much of
a problem because only on builds which explicitly define the
non-standard DISABLE_LEADER_PARTICIPATION this will happen, and in
such cases the progress reporting for the loading phase will fail as
well.

With regards,

Matthias van de Meent

Вложения