Re: pg_stat_progress_create_index vs. parallel index builds

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: pg_stat_progress_create_index vs. parallel index builds
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 6/2/21 3:03 PM, Matthias van de Meent wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jun 2021 at 13:57, Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> While experimenting with parallel index builds, I've noticed a somewhat
>> strange behavior of pg_stat_progress_create_index when a btree index is
>> built with parallel workers - some of the phases seem to be missing.
>>
>> In serial (no parallelism) mode, the progress is roughly this (it's
>> always the first/last timestamp of each phase):
>>
>>                |   command    |             phase
>> -------------+--------------+----------------------------------------
>>    12:56:01 AM | CREATE INDEX | building index: scanning table
>>    01:06:22 AM | CREATE INDEX | building index: scanning table
>>    01:06:23 AM | CREATE INDEX | building index: sorting live tuples
>>    01:13:10 AM | CREATE INDEX | building index: sorting live tuples
>>    01:13:11 AM | CREATE INDEX | building index: loading tuples in tree
>>    01:24:02 AM | CREATE INDEX | building index: loading tuples in tree
>>
>> So it goes through three phases:
>>
>> 1) scanning tuples
>> 2) sorting live tuples
>>
>> But with parallel build index build, it changes to:
>>
>>                |   command    |             phase
>> -------------+--------------+----------------------------------------
>>    11:40:48 AM | CREATE INDEX | building index: scanning table
>>    11:47:24 AM | CREATE INDEX | building index: scanning table (scan
>>                  complete)
>>    11:56:22 AM | CREATE INDEX | building index: scanning table
>>    11:56:23 AM | CREATE INDEX | building index: loading tuples in tree
>>    12:05:33 PM | CREATE INDEX | building index: loading tuples in tree
>>
>> That is, the "sorting live tuples" phase disappeared, and instead it
>> seems to be counted in the "scanning table" one, as if there was an
>> update of the phase missing.
>
>> I've only tried this on master, but I assume it behaves like this in the
>> older releases too. I wonder if this is intentional - it sure is a bit
>> misleading.
>
> This was a suprise to me as well. According to documentation in
> sortsupport.h (line 125-129) the parallel workers produce pre-sorted
> segments during the scanning phase, which are subsequently merged by
> the leader. This might mean that the 'sorting' phase is already
> finished during the 'scanning' phase by waiting for the parallel
> workers; I haven't looked further if this is the case and whether it
> could be changed to also produce the sorting metrics, but seeing as it
> is part of the parallel workers API of tuplesort, I think fixing it in
> current releases is going to be difficult.

Maybe. Perhaps it's more complicated to decide when to switch between
phases with parallel workers. Still, the table scan is done after ~8
minutes (based on blocks_total vs. blocks_done), yet we keep that phase
for another ~9 minutes. It seems this is where the workers do the sort,
so "sorting live tuples" seems like a more natural phase for this.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company