Re: logicalrep_message_type throws an error

От Ashutosh Bapat
Тема Re: logicalrep_message_type throws an error
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jul 15, 2023 at 12:57 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Since the numerical value is important only in invalid message type
> > cases, how about using a format like "??? (88)" in unknown message
> > type cases, in both error and context messages?
> >

> Do you have something like attached in mind?

Prologue of psprintf() says

* Errors are not returned to the caller, but are reported via elog(ERROR)
* in the backend, or printf-to-stderr-and-exit() in frontend builds.
* One should therefore think twice about using this in libpq.

If an error occurs in psprintf(), it will throw an error which will
override the original error. I think we should avoid any stuff that
throws further errors.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat