Re: PostgresSQL 13.0 Beta 1 on Phoronix

От Ranier Vilela
Тема Re: PostgresSQL 13.0 Beta 1 on Phoronix
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Em dom., 24 de mai. de 2020 às 14:34, Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> escreveu:
On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 2:52 AM Ranier Vilela <ranier.vf@gmail.com> wrote:
> There was news in Phoronix about the Beta 1 Release of Postgres (1).
> Unfortunately for Postgres advocacy it does not bring good news,
> it is showing regressions in the benchmarks compared to version 12.
> Without going into the technical merits of how the test was done,
> they have no way of knowing whether such regressions actually exist or if it is a failure of how the tests were done.

This shellscript appears to be used by Phoronix to run pgbench:

https://github.com/phoronix-test-suite/phoronix-test-suite/blob/f0f8c726f2700faea363f176a4b28dab026d45d0/ob-cache/test-profiles/pts/pgbench-1.8.4/install.sh

It looks like they're only running pgbench for 60 second runs in all
configurations -- notice that "-T 60" is passed to pgbench. I'm not
entirely sure that that's all that there is to it. Still, there isn't
any real attempt to make it clear what's going on here. I have my
doubts about how representative these numbers are for that reason.
I also find it very suspicious.V12 seems to be better at read-only workloads (at least it shows the graphics).
I'm using V13, in normal mode (read / write), medium load.

regards,
Ranier VIlela