Re: checkpoints taking much longer than expected

От Tiemen Ruiten
Тема Re: checkpoints taking much longer than expected
Дата
Re: checkpoints taking much longer than expected  (Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com>)
Re: checkpoints taking much longer than expected  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Список pgsql-general

On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 5:43 PM Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
Greetings,

* Tiemen Ruiten (t.ruiten@tech-lab.io) wrote:
> checkpoint_timeout = 60min

That seems like a pretty long timeout.

My reasoning was that a longer recovery time to avoid writes would be acceptable because there are two more nodes in the cluster to fall back on in case of emergency.

> My problem is that checkpoints are taking a long time. Even when I run a
> few manual checkpoints one after the other, they keep taking very long, up
> to 10 minutes:

You haven't said *why* this is an issue...  Why are you concerned with
how long it takes to do a checkpoint?

During normal operation I don't mind that it takes a long time, but when performing maintenance I want to be able to gracefully bring down the master without long delays to promote one of the standby's.

The time information is all there and it tells you what it's doing and
how much had to be done... If you're unhappy with how long it takes to
write out gigabytes of data and fsync hundreds of files, talk to your
storage people...

I am the storage people too :)

Thanks,

Stephen