Re: PostgreSQL flavors

От Steve Crawford
Тема Re: PostgreSQL flavors
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Congratulations on the decision and welcome.

As an overview, there is the PostgreSQL *project* which is run by the PostgreSQL Global Development Group (PgDG) with contributors around the world most of whom work for a variety of companies that either use or support PostgreSQL. PostgreSQL is BSD-licensed open-source software. PgDG operates these mailing lists.

Within the PostgreSQL ecosystem you will find numerous commercial and non-commercial entities that provide:

-Custom/commercial/extended products based on PostgreSQL (i.e. EnterpriseDB and others) - some of which are designed to provide a level of Oracle compatibility

-Commercial and open-source tools that extend, support or work with PostgreSQL (you may want to look at Ora2Pg - a tool to migrate Oracle to PostgreSQL)

-Development services

-Training

-DBA and support services (i.e. PGExperts)

-User-groups (very helpful but I don't see one in Florida: http://www.postgresql.org/community/user-groups/)

-Books and magazines

I'd agree with your plan to start with the core open-source PostgreSQL software to learn then progress to other products/projects as needs dictate.

Cheers,
Steve