Re: Proposal: "Causal reads" mode for load balancing reads without stale data

От Thomas Munro
Тема Re: Proposal: "Causal reads" mode for load balancing reads without stale data
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 2:10 AM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> On 3 February 2016 at 10:46, Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 10:59 PM, Amit Langote
>> <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>>> There seems to be a copy-pasto there - shouldn't that be:
>>>
>>> + if (walsndctl->lsn[SYNC_REP_WAIT_FLUSH] < MyWalSnd->flush)
>>
>> Indeed, thanks!  New patch attached.
>
> I've given this a test drive, and it works exactly as described.

Thanks for trying it out!

> But one thing which confuses me is when a standby, with causal_reads
> enabled, has just finished starting up.  I can't connect to it
> because:
>
> FATAL:  standby is not available for causal reads
>
> However, this is the same message when I'm successfully connected, but
> it's lagging, and the primary is still waiting for the standby to
> catch up:
>
> ERROR:  standby is not available for causal reads
>
> What is the difference here?  The problem being reported appears to be
> identical, but in the first case I can't connect, but in the second
> case I can (although I still can't issue queries).

Right, you get the error at login before it has managed to connect to
the primary, and for a short time after while it's in 'joining' state,
or potentially longer if there is a backlog of WAL to apply.

The reason is that when causal_reads = on in postgresql.conf (as
opposed to being set for an individual session or role), causal reads
logic is used for snapshots taken during authentication (in fact the
error is generated when trying to take a snapshot slightly before
authentication proper begins, in InitPostgres).  I think that's a
desirable feature: if you have causal reads on and you create/alter a
database/role (for example setting a new password) and commit, and
then you immediately try to connect to that database/role on a standby
where you have causal reads enabled system-wide, then you get the
causal reads guarantee during authentication: you either see the
effects of your earlier transaction or you see the error.  As you have
discovered, there is a small window after a standby comes up where it
will show the error because it hasn't got a lease yet so it can't let
you log in yet because it could be seeing a stale catalog (your user
may not exist on the standby yet, or have been altered in some way, or
your database may not exist yet, etc).

Does that make sense?

--
Thomas Munro