Re: [HACKERS] Multi column range partition table

От Dean Rasheed
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Multi column range partition table
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Multi column range partition table  (Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 5 July 2017 at 18:07, Dean Rasheed <dean.a.rasheed@gmail.com> wrote:
> So if we were to go for maximum flexibility and compatibility with
> Oracle, then perhaps what we would do is more like the original idea
> of UNBOUNDED ABOVE/BELOW, except call them MINVALUE and MAXVALUE,
> which conveniently are already unreserved keywords, as well as being
> much shorter. Plus, we would also relax the constraint about having
> finite values after MINVALUE/MAXVALUE.

So I know that I have flip-flopped a few times on this now, but I'm
now starting to think that this approach, replacing UNBOUNDED with
MINVALUE and MAXVALUE is the best way to go, along with permitting
finite values after MINVALUE/MAXVALUE.

This gives the greatest flexibility, it's not too verbose, and it
makes it easy to define contiguous sets of partitions just by making
the lower bound of one match the upper bound of another.

With this approach, any partition bounds that Oracle allows are also
valid in PostgreSQL, not that I would normally give too much weight to
that, but it is I think quite a nice syntax. Of course, we also
support things that Oracle doesn't allow, such as MINVALUE and gaps
between partitions.

Parts of the patch are similar to your UNBOUNDED ABOVE/BELOW patch,
but there are a number of differences -- most notably, I replaced the
"infinite" boolean flag on PartitionRangeDatum with a 3-value enum and
did away with all the DefElem nodes and the associated special string
constants being copied and compared.

However, this is also an incompatible syntax change, and any attempt
to support both the old and new syntaxes is likely to be messy, so we
really need to get consensus on whether this is the right thing to do,
and whether it *can* be done now for PG10.

Regards,
Dean