Re: Further news on Clang - spurious warnings

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: Further news on Clang - spurious warnings
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 5 August 2011 20:07, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> This patch is a truly horrid idea, as it eliminates the error checking
> the compiler is trying to provide, and does so globally not only in the
> trouble spots.

I think that the mistake I may have made here was assuming that the
existing code was perfect, and therefore it was a simply matter of
tweaking. With that assumption in mind, the only fix could have been a
global fix. I should not have acted in haste.

> If I were trying to get rid of this warning, I'd be wondering why
> ReplNodeTag is a distinct enum in the first place.

Indeed, that doesn't seem to be justified anywhere, and seems to be a
violation of the abstraction of Node as a pseudo base class which
would have broken any "downcasting" that we might have attempted to
do. Since ReplNodeTag wasn't being used directly, just its enumeration
constants, simply moving the constants to the global, generic NodeTag
enum fixes the issue.

That is what the attached patch does.

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: cataloguing NOT NULL constraints
Сообщение: Re: cataloguing NOT NULL constraints