Re: pg_start_backup does not actually allow for consistent, file-level backup

От Guillaume Lelarge
Тема Re: pg_start_backup does not actually allow for consistent, file-level backup
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Le 8 juin 2015 2:48 PM, "otheus uibk" <otheus.uibk@gmail.com> a écrit :

> [...]
>
> For example: http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/AANLkTikg70iP91TPUwVuF9gb0XtS4fukaKM4qXLTwUfP@mail.gmail.com#AANLkTikg70iP91TPUwVuF9gb0XtS4fukaKM4qXLTwUfP@mail.gmail.com
>
> and http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/201004201350.o3KDoKR02633@momjian.us#201004201350.o3KDoKR02633@momjian.us (quoted below)
>
>> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 11:55 AM, raghavendra t
>> <raagavendra(dot)rao(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > For some setups reason, i started taking Hot backup. In this course I have first issued pg_start_backup('backup') and went to the data directory for backing up in OS format using the command "tar -cf backup.tar  /data" . When i issued this command , tar was generating some errors as show below.
>> >
>> > bash-3.00# tar -cf 16aprilstandby.tar /db-data/
>> > tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
>> > tar: /db-data/base/24643/151667: file changed as we read it
>> > tar: /db-data/base/24643/151764.2: file changed as we read it
>> > tar: /db-data/base/24643/151766: file changed as we read it
>> > tar: /db-data/base/24643/151768: file changed as we read it
>> > tar: /db-data/base/66412/151969: file changed as we read it
>> >
>> > After sometime tar has ended and i also issued pg_stop_backup() and i continued the process.
>> >
>> > My question here is, is this errors generated by tar are to worrisome or whats happening in the backend.
>> > Is "tar" file is safewell to use. Could you please tell me.
>> Those are not errors, they are warnings. As long as you use
>> pg_start_backup() and pg_stop_backup() before and after the tar, they
>> are perfectly harmless, and can be ignored.
>

> The above scenario is exactly what I saw, albeit with less frequency and severity.
>
> I decided to test this claim that these messages are "perfectly harmless" and "can be ignored":
>
> 1. I executed pg_start_backup() on server
> 2. Ran md5sum recursively through PG's data directories
> 3. waited a split second
> 4. Ran md5sum recursively through PG's data directories as in step 2
> 5. Compared output from #2 and #4
>
> As you can see below, there were non-zero changes made to these files.
>
> < a1a571bfd1e4a98b20245edbdfce6d9a  /var/lib/pgsql/data/base/41514/809275
> ---
> > 21de5b864019c96c55e81a38fa1c9ccf  /var/lib/pgsql/data/base/41514/809275
> 1783c1783
> < 8eb4a578ecb56667e1698174f89c462c  /var/lib/pgsql/data/base/41514/809280
> ---
> > b4c7b4ef30dda9543181465f53a85d72  /var/lib/pgsql/data/base/41514/809280
>
> Such changes occurred EVEN WHEN TAR DID NOT WARN of changed files. Further, when step 3 involved an actual backup, involving minutes, not milliseconds, dozens of differences to files in data/base/... are reported. To be clear, I excluded from consideration all files in pg_xlog, pg_clog, pg_subtrans, pg_stat_tmp.
>
> If these files are changing during the pg_start_backup() and pg_stop_backup, then exactly what is their purpose?

First, files change during backup. The files backup isn't consistent in itself. You need the archived wal files to make it consistent.

pg_start_backup(), among other things, creates the backup_label file which is needed at restore time so that postgres knows at which wal file it needs to start the replay. pg_stop_backup() gives the last position in the wal file needs to get a consistent backup.

> Might they be changing during the tar, as tar thinks?

Yes.

> How may an operator be assured the snapshot is consistent (unless one stops the databases)?  Will the redo logs restore the files to a consistent state, no matter when these files are changed? I find it hard to believe that would be the case.

You should because it works great :-)

> This test was performed using Postgresql 9.1.8. A scan of the CHANGELOG since then indicates that if this is a bug, it has not been reported as fixed.

Сообщение: Re: pg_start_backup does not actually allow for consistent, file-level backup
Сообщение: Re: pg_start_backup does not actually allow for consistent, file-level backup