Re: pg_start_backup does not actually allow for consistent, file-level backup

От Albe Laurenz
Тема Re: pg_start_backup does not actually allow for consistent, file-level backup
Дата
Список pgsql-general
otheus uibk wrote:
> The manual and in this mailing list, the claim is made that consistent, file-level backups may be made
> by bracketing the file-copy operation with the postgresql pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup
> operations.  Many people including myself have found that in some circumstances, using "tar" to copy
> these files will result in an error if one of the data files changes during the tar operation. The

Everything is fine, trust us.

>> bash-3.00# tar -cf 16aprilstandby.tar /db-data/
>> tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
>> tar: /db-data/base/24643/151667: file changed as we read it
>> tar: /db-data/base/24643/151764.2: file changed as we read it
>> tar: /db-data/base/24643/151766: file changed as we read it
>> tar: /db-data/base/24643/151768: file changed as we read it
>> tar: /db-data/base/66412/151969: file changed as we read it

> The above scenario is exactly what I saw, albeit with less frequency and severity.

> I decided to test this claim that these messages are "perfectly harmless" and "can be ignored":
[...]
> As you can see below, there were non-zero changes made to these files.
[...]
> Such changes occurred EVEN WHEN TAR DID NOT WARN of changed files. Further, when step 3 involved an
> actual backup, involving minutes, not milliseconds, dozens of differences to files in data/base/...
> are reported. To be clear, I excluded from consideration all files in pg_xlog, pg_clog, pg_subtrans,
> pg_stat_tmp.
>
> If these files are changing during the pg_start_backup() and pg_stop_backup, then exactly what is
> their purpose? Might they be changing during the tar, as tar thinks? How may an operator be assured
> the snapshot is consistent (unless one stops the databases)?  Will the redo logs restore the files to
> a consistent state, no matter when these files are changed? I find it hard to believe that would be
> the case.

The files are indeed changing while they are backed up.

The tar archive is not a consistent backup.

Redo using the Write Ahead Log will indeed restore the files to a consistent state,
astonishing as that may be.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Сообщение: Re: pg_start_backup does not actually allow for consistent, file-level backup
Сообщение: Re: pg_start_backup does not actually allow for consistent, file-level backup