Re: [GENERAL] [ADMIN] calculating table and index size

От Guillaume Lelarge
Тема Re: [GENERAL] [ADMIN] calculating table and index size
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Le 7 avr. 2017 4:58 PM, "Alban Hertroys" <haramrae@gmail.com> a écrit :
On 7 April 2017 at 09:11, Günce Kaya <guncekaya14@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Sorry for delay.
>
> Guillaume, I read your answer for first question but It's not clear to me.
> The table has a column and index also use that column. so in that example, I
> think table size and index size should be equal. Why these are not equal?

If I understand correctly, the table only has 1 (integer) column and
all those 1,400,000 rows have the same value?

That's what I also understood.

Then the table has to store each row separately and thus has to store
the same value repeatedly. It also has to store some meta-data, such
as visibility information.

The meta data is the important stuff here. You have around seven system columns for each row, bringing the row size from a mere 4 bytes to something a bit more than 30 bytes.

The index on the other hand (assuming a btree index) knows that there
is only a single value in the table and therefore only stores a single
value, but it has to reference each row in the table that contains
that value.

Not true for a btree index. The value is stored as many times as it appears on the table.

True on a gin index IIRC

So the table and the index are storing different things, but the total
size of each row/index node for that single integer column is of the
same order of magnitude. That's why they are similar in size.

If you would add another integer column to your table and VACUUM FULL
the table, the table would be about double its size, but the index
would stay the same size.

The table wouldn't double in size. It would grow but not that much. Though I agree the index would stay the same.

Regards,
Alban.