Re: How about using dirty snapshots to locate dependent objects?

От Ashutosh Sharma
Тема Re: How about using dirty snapshots to locate dependent objects?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 6, 2024 at 6:57 PM Bertrand Drouvot <bertranddrouvot.pg@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 06, 2024 at 05:59:00PM +0530, Ashutosh Sharma wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> At present, we use MVCC snapshots to identify dependent objects. This
> implies that if a new dependent object is inserted within a transaction
> that is still ongoing, our search for dependent objects won't include this
> recently added one. Consequently, if someone attempts to drop the
> referenced object, it will be dropped, and when the ongoing transaction
> completes, we will end up having an entry for a referenced object that has
> already been dropped. This situation can lead to an inconsistent state.
> Below is an example illustrating this scenario:
>
> Session 1:
> - create table t1(a int);
> - insert into t1 select i from generate_series(1, 10000000) i;
> - create extension btree_gist;
> - create index i1 on t1 using gist( a );
>
> Session 2: (While the index creation in session 1 is in progress, drop the
> btree_gist extension)
> - drop extension btree_gist;
>
> Above command succeeds and so does the create index command running in
> session 1, post this, if we try running anything on table t1, i1, it fails
> with an error: "cache lookup failed for opclass ..."
>
> Attached is the patch that I have tried, which seems to be working for me.
> It's not polished and thoroughly tested, but just sharing here to clarify
> what I am trying to suggest. Please have a look and let me know your
> thoughts.

Thanks for the patch proposal!

The patch does not fix the other way around:

- session 1: BEGIN; DROP extension btree_gist;
- session 2: create index i1 on t1 using gist( a );
- session 1: commits while session 2 is creating the index

and does not address all the possible orphaned dependencies cases.

There is an ongoing thread (see [1]) to fix the orphaned dependencies issue.

v9 attached in [1] fixes the case you describe here.

[1]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/ZiYjn0eVc7pxVY45%40ip-10-97-1-34.eu-west-3.compute.internal

I see. Thanks for sharing this. I can take a look at this and help in whatever way I can.

With Regards,
Ashutosh Sharma.