Re: minimal network speed for replication

От prasanna rk
Тема Re: minimal network speed for replication
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Thank you Fabio..

On Mon, 22 Oct 2018, 15:21 Fabio Pardi, <f.pardi@portavita.eu> wrote:
Hi Prasanna,

I m not aware of (official) docs about the topic.

If you are using streaming replication, then you might come up to some
numbers with a calculation like:

number of blocks changed over time * block size

block size is by default 8 KB

That will tell you how many KB you need over the specified period of time.
On top of that you might want to also add the vacuum traffic, if you
have scheduled one over night/weekend/rest time.
If you are doing a daily vacuum, then probably you have to take into
account that too, which probably goes way faster then the application
write ratio. (but you might not care if over night your replica is not
in sync..)

When you come up with a number, consider it as the bare minimum,
therefore a good size for it might be 2x or 10x depending on your growth
ratio over time and the confidence you have in your calculations.

The topic as you see is not easy to describe in a few words, I suggest
you to be pragmatic and come up with a load test. Load test is usually a
great idea also to see if your machine is properly sized for your
production workload.

I hope it helps.

regards,

fabio pardi