processing openssl-encrypted files through pgdump and pgrestore

От Mark Steben
Тема processing openssl-encrypted files through pgdump and pgrestore
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Good afternoon,

We run postgres 9.2.12
We've been given a mandate to encrypt all our database backups.
We also use the -f Fc subcommand in pgdump to create pg_restore suitable input/output files

The first step to create the encrypted dump works fine:
  pg_dump -U postgres auth_production_test -Fc | openssl enc -aes-256-cbc -kfile /home/postgres/.openssl.postgres.pass -e > /storage/backups/dbdumps/authproductiontest.custom.gz.enc &

However when I run pg_restore with the -l option to create the table of contents, pg_restore doesn't recognize the encrypted backup as a suitable archive:

 pg_restore -l -U postgres authproductiontest.custom.gz.enc > authproductiontest.list | openssl enc -aes-256-cbc -kfile /home/postgres/.openssl.postgres.pass -e > /storage/backups/dbdumps/authproductiontest.custom.list.enc &
[2] 1070
[postgres@diablo dbdumps]$ pg_restore: [archiver] input file does not appear to be a valid archive

Do I need to create an unencrypted dump first for pg_restore to recognize and act upon?  I don't see anything in the pg_restore documentation that allows for reading encrypted files.

Any suggestions welcome.  Thanks,

--
Mark Steben
 Database Administrator