[ADMIN] Postgres HA using Shared Disk Solution

От Purav Chovatia
Тема [ADMIN] Postgres HA using Shared Disk Solution
Дата
Re: [ADMIN] Postgres HA using Shared Disk Solution  (Albe Laurenz <laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at>)
Список pgsql-admin
Hello All,

I have been researching for possible HA solutions for postgres. I find shared disk solution (either using Linux-HA or RHCS) to be a very good solution. Especially for us, because our databases are big and they do a lot of IO so we deploy a lot of disks.

However, research on the internet shows that a shared disk solution is not very commonly deployed when it comes to postgres. People mostly go for Streaming Replication/Warm/Hot-Standby which to me are more like DR solutions.

Is my research correct or that is not so? for e.g. this was the only post that I came across, and that too as old as 2012:

Given our IO requirement, if we go for Streaming Replication instead, then our storage needs double and that increases the cost.

Can someone confirm, if shared disk clustering is fairly common or no in the postgres world? If no, why is it so - can somebody enlighten me pls.

Many Thanks