Re: dblink: add polymorphic functions.

От Corey Huinker
Тема Re: dblink: add polymorphic functions.
Дата
Re: dblink: add polymorphic functions.  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 10:48 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Corey Huinker <corey.huinker@gmail.com> writes:
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 3:48 AM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote:
>> Let's pursue the "CAST(srf() AS row_rtype)" syntax that Joe suggested
>> upthread (
>> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/559A9643.9070409@joeconway.com). For
>> some reason, the discussion went on around the details of the submitted
>> patch after that, even though everyone seemed to prefer the CAST() syntax.

> I'm all for adding that syntax, but it wouldn't be useful for my purposes
> unless row_rtype could be a variable, and my understanding is that it can't.

Not sure why inserting a variable name is so much better than inserting a
type name?

                        regards, tom lane

Apologies in advance if I'm going over things you already know. Just trying to package up the problem statement into something easily digestible.

In a polymorphic function, I don't know the return type. It's whatever type was specified on the function call.

Say I've written a function with a function like
    outer_polymorphic_function(p_rowtype anyelement,p1 ,p2,p3, ...) returns setof anyelement

And inside that function is a series (probably a handful, but potentially thousands) of async dblink calls, and their corresponding calls to dblink_get_result(), which currently return setof record, each of which needs to be casted to whatever anyelement happens to be given this execution.

Currently, I have to look up p_rowtype in pg_attribute and pg_class, render the column specs as valid SQL, and compose the query as a string

   fetch_values_query := 'select * from dblink_get_result($1) as t ( ' || 'c1 type, c2 othertype, ... ' || ')';

and then execute that dynamically like so:

   return query execute fetch_values_query using l_connection_name;

It would be nice if I didn't have to resort to dynamic SQL do to this.

If the CAST() function is implemented, but does not allow to cast as a variable, then I'm in the same boat:

   fetch_values_query := 'select * from CAST(dblink_get_result($1) as ' || pg_typeof(p_rowtype) || ')';

Admittedly, that's a bit cleaner, but I'm still executing that dynamic SQL once per connection I made, and there could be a lot of them.

If there were dblink() functions that returned polymorphic results, it would be a non issue:

   dblink_send_query('conn1','select * from thing_i_know_is_shaped_like_my_rowtype')
   return query select * from dblink_get_result_any(p_rowtype,'conn1');

I'm all for the expanded capabilities of CAST(), but I have a specific need for polymorphic dblink() functions.

Сообщение: Re: upgrade failure from 9.5 to head
Сообщение: Re: upgrade failure from 9.5 to head