Re: Multiple servers with Postgresql

От Cliff Pratt
Тема Re: Multiple servers with Postgresql
Дата
Re: Multiple servers with Postgresql  (John Coryat <coryat@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-admin
Oops, my apologies. I replied to you and not the list. I'm copying the
list on this one, John.

I don't think that you will be able to mix systems like you want to.
Replication between systems is only natively supported in 9.x of
PostgreSQL, though replication could be done in earlier versions with
an add-on. In addition, I don't know if 32 and 64 bit systems can
replicate. You may be able to create a backup of a 9.1 system on 8.4
by dump and restore, provided you don't implement any facilities that
are in 9.1 and not in 8.4, but you would have to write scripts to do
it.

The issue with replication that exists in 9.x is that if you switch to
the backup system and make updates to it, then you are faced with a
dump and restore to switch back again (in the majority of cases, as I
understand it).

Sorry, tuning is a black art to me, but I'm sure that you could find a
suitable PostgreSQL person in your location! I'm not a PostgreSQL
expert, though I've used PostgreSQL for years.

Cheers,

Cliff