Re: language cleanups in code and docs

От Dave Cramer
Тема Re: language cleanups in code and docs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 at 19:55, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> On 6/15/20 2:22 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
>> 2) 'master' as a reference to the branch. Personally I be in favor of
>> changing the branch name, but it seems like it'd be better done as a
>> somewhat separate discussion to me, as it affects development
>> practices to some degree.

> I'm OK with this, but I would need plenty of notice to get the buildfarm
> adjusted.

"master" is the default branch name established by git, is it not?  Not
something we picked.  I don't feel like we need to be out front of the
rest of the world in changing that.  It'd be a cheaper change than some of
the other proposals in this thread, no doubt, but it would still create
confusion for new hackers who are used to the standard git convention.

While it is the default I expect that will change soon. Github is planning on making main the default. https://www.zdnet.com/article/github-to-replace-master-with-alternative-term-to-avoid-slavery-references/

Many projects are moving from master to main.

I expect it will be less confusing than you think.

Dave Cramer
www.postgres.rocks