Re: Request for comment on setting binary format output per session

От Dave Cramer
Тема Re: Request for comment on setting binary format output per session
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 9 Oct 2023 at 17:11, Jelte Fennema <postgres@jeltef.nl> wrote:
On Mon, 9 Oct 2023 at 21:08, Dave Cramer <davecramer@gmail.com> wrote:
> My goal here is to reduce the overhead of naming all the types the client  wants in binary. The list of well known types is pretty long.
> Additionally we could have a shorthand for removing a well known type.

You're only setting this once in the lifetime of the connection right,

Correct
i.e. right at the start (although pgbouncer could set it once per
transaction in the worst case). It seems like it shouldn't really
matter much to optimize the size of the "SET format_binary=..."
command, I'd expect it to be at most 1 kilobyte. I'm not super opposed
to having a shorthand for some of the most commonly wanted built-in
types, but then we'd need to decide on what those are, which would add
even more discussion/bikeshedding to this thread. I'm not sure the win
in size is worth that effort.
It's worth the effort if we use schema.typename, if we use oids then I'm not that invested in this approach.

Dave