Re: Replication between Master PostgreSQL database version 9.6.1 and Standby/Slave PostgreSQL database version 10.17.

От Kaushal Shriyan
Тема Re: Replication between Master PostgreSQL database version 9.6.1 and Standby/Slave PostgreSQL database version 10.17.
Дата
Ответ на Re: Replication between Master PostgreSQL database version 9.6.1 and Standby/Slave PostgreSQL database version 10.17.  (Christophe Pettus <xof@thebuild.com>)
Ответы Re: Replication between Master PostgreSQL database version 9.6.1 and Standby/Slave PostgreSQL database version 10.17.  (Christophe Pettus <xof@thebuild.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Thanks Christophe for the email and appreciate it. I am not sure if I understand the difference between binary and logical replication between PostgreSQL Master and Standby/Slave server.

Please guide me.  Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Kaushal

On Wed, Oct 5, 2022 at 11:02 PM Christophe Pettus <xof@thebuild.com> wrote:

> On Oct 5, 2022, at 09:32, Kaushal Shriyan <kaushalshriyan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Is replication possible between PostgreSQL support Master database running 9.6.1 version which is a lower version to Standby/Slave running version 10.17?

Binary replication is not possible between different major versions.  You can do logical replication, using the pglogical extension:

        https://github.com/2ndQuadrant/pglogical

(Although not directly related, do note that 9.6 has been past end-of-life for nearly a year, and version 10 will reach end-of-life in November of this year.  10.17 is over a year old, and 9.6.1 is almost six years old; the most recent versions of each are 10.22 and 9.6.24.)