Re: Subquery to select max(date) value

От Ken Tanzer
Тема Re: Subquery to select max(date) value
Дата
Re: Subquery to select max(date) value
Список pgsql-general

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 3:59 PM Rich Shepard <rshepard@appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

After working with this query I modified it slightly to return only the
next_contact date:

select p.person_id, p.lname, p.fname, p.direct_phone, p.active, o.org_name, sq.*
from people as p
      join organizations as o on p.org_id = o.org_id
      cross join
          lateral
          (select a.next_contact
          from activities as a
              where a.person_id = p.person_id and
              p.active='True' and
              a.next_contact is not null
          order by a.next_contact DESC
          limit 1) sq;

It works wellm, but the row order is not that of a.next_contact. In fact,
there seems to be no order in the returned set. The next_contact column is
in the lateral sub-query. Does this make a difference? I've no idea how to
modify the query so that returned rows are in decreasing next_contact order.

Best regards,

Rich

You need the ORDER BY in the outer join.  (And I don't think the one inside the lateral join is doing you any good).  Try:

              a.next_contact is not null
             limit 1) sq
            order by sq.next_contact DESC;

Cheers,
Ken

--
AGENCY Software
A Free Software data system

learn more about AGENCY or
follow the discussion.

Сообщение: Re: Subquery to select max(date) value
Сообщение: Re: Subquery to select max(date) value