pg_dump doesn't restore on newer database due to schema issues (bug or limitation?)

От Ken Tanzer
Тема pg_dump doesn't restore on newer database due to schema issues (bug or limitation?)
Дата
Re: pg_dump doesn't restore on newer database due to schema issues (bug or limitation?)  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
When trying to move a database from 8.3 to 9.2.5, the plain text pg_dump did not restore without errors.  (I used pg_dump from 9.2.5)  The problem seems to relate to references to other schemas and the schema search paths.

First, here's the error message:

psql:/tmp/spc_test_1005_dump_with_pg_9_2_5.orig.sql:451247: ERROR:  relation "tbl_housing_unit" does not exist
LINE 3:  SELECT a.housing_project_code FROM tbl_housing_unit a WHERE...
                                            ^
QUERY:

SELECT a.housing_project_code FROM tbl_housing_unit a WHERE LOWER(a.housing_unit_code)=LOWER($1) LIMIT 1;

CONTEXT:  SQL function "housing_project_from_unit" during inlining
COPY tbl_unit_absence, line 1: "1 [data snipped] \..."

This database has "public" and "spc" schemas.  tbl_housing_unit (table) and housing_project_from_unit (function) are in the public schema.  The error occurs during this operation:

COPY tbl_unit_absence (unit_absence_id, client_id, housing_project_code, housing_unit_code, unit_absence_date, unit_absence_date_end, absence_reason_code, comment, added_by, added_at, changed_by, changed_at, is_deleted, deleted_at, deleted_by, deleted_comment, sys_log) FROM stdin;

tbl_unit_absence is in the spc schema.  It has a constraint that uses the housing_project_from_unit (from public).  Prior to running the copy command, the dump file has done a "SET search_path = spc, pg_catalog;" and so it doesn't find tbl_housing_unit from public.

I was able to get my database restored by changing the SET search_path commands to "spc, public, pg_catalog" and "public, spc, pg_catalog" so this isn't a practical issue for me.  Even more so because those relations were all meant to be in the public schema--things just got a bit screwy.

But I haven't seen anything that indicates this should stop a pg_dump from working, and so wonder if this should be reported as a bug.  It might be a known limitation, or maybe it's just tough luck if you cross schemas?

I'm happy to provide more information if it's helpful.  Thanks.

Ken

--
AGENCY Software
A data system that puts you in control