Re: Proposal : REINDEX xxx VERBOSE

От Sawada Masahiko
Тема Re: Proposal : REINDEX xxx VERBOSE
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 9:04 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 11:05 PM, Sawada Masahiko <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
>> VACUUM has both syntax: with parentheses and without parentheses.
>> I think we should have both syntax for REINDEX like VACUUM does
>> because it would be pain to put parentheses whenever we want to do
>> REINDEX.
>> Are the parentheses optional in REINDEX command?
>
> No.  The unparenthesized VACUUM syntax was added back before we
> realized that that kind of syntax is a terrible idea.  It requires
> every option to be a keyword, and those keywords have to be in a fixed
> order.  I believe the intention is to keep the old VACUUM syntax
> around for backward-compatibility, but not to extend it.  Same for
> EXPLAIN and COPY.

REINDEX will have only one option VERBOSE for now.
Even we're in a situation like that it's not clear to be added newly
additional option to REINDEX now, we should need to put parenthesis?
Also I'm not sure that both implementation and documentation regarding
VERBOSE option should be optional.

Regards,

-------
Sawada Masahiko