Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)
Дата
Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and Key Management Service (KMS)  (Antonin Houska <ah@cybertec.at>)
Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)  (shawn wang <shawn.wang.pg@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 7:41 AM Tomas Vondra
<tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> I personally find the idea of encrypting tablespaces rather strange.
> Tablespaces are meant to define hysical location for objects, but this
> would also use them to "mark" objects as encrypted or not. That just
> seems misguided and would make the life harder for many users.
>
> For example, what if I don't have any tablespaces (except for the
> default one), but I want to encrypt only some objects? Suddenly I have
> to create a tablespace, which will however cause various difficulties
> down the road (during pg_basebackup, etc.).

I guess that we can have an encrypted tabelspace by default (e.g.
pg_default_enc). Or we encrypt per tables while having encryption keys
per tablespaces.

On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 6:54 AM Tomas Vondra
<tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 16, 2019 at 02:10:23PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> >Greetings,
> >
> >* Joe Conway (mail@joeconway.com) wrote:

> >> How? It is no more complex than encrypting at the tablespace level
> >> already gives you - in that case you get this property for free if you
> >> care to use it.
> >
> >Perhaps not surprising, but I'm definitely in agreement with Joe
> >regarding having multiple keys when possible and (reasonably)
> >straight-forward to do so.  I also don't buy off on the OpenSSL
> >argument; their more severe issues certainly haven't been due to key
> >management issues such as what we're discussing here, so I don't think
> >the argument applies.
> >

> I'm not sure what exactly is the "OpenSSL argument" you're disagreeing
> with? IMHO Bruce is quite right that the risk of vulnerabilities grows
> with the complexity of the system (both due to implementation bugs and
> general design weaknesses). I don't think it's tied to the key
> management specifically, except that it's one of the parts that may
> contribute to the complexity.
>
> (It's often claimed that key management is one of the weakest points of
> current crypto systems - we have safe (a)symmetric algorithms, but safe
> handling of keys is an issue. I don't have data / papers supporting this
> claim, I kinda believe it.)
>
> Now, I'm not opposed to eventually implementing something more
> elaborate, but I also think just encrypting the whole cluster (not
> necessarily with a single key, but with one master key) would be enough
> for vast majority of users. Plus it's less error prone and easier to
> operate (backups, replicas, crash recovery, ...).
>
> But there's about 0% chance we'll get that in v1, of course, so we need
> s "minimum viable product" to build on anyway.

I agree that we need minimum viable product first. But I'm not sure
it's true that the implementing the cluster-wide TDE first could be
the first step of per-tablespace/table TDE.

The purpose of cluster-wide TDE and table/tablespace TDE are slightly
different in terms of encryption target objects. The cluster-wide TDE
would be a good solution for users who want to encrypt everything
while the table/tabelspace TDE would help more severe use cases in
terms of both of security and performance.

The cluster-wide TDE eventually encrypts SLRU data and all WAL
including non-user data related WAL while table/tablespace TDE doesn't
unless we develop such functionality. In addition, the cluster-wide
TDE also encrypts system catalogs but in table/tablespace TDE user
would be able to control that somewhat. That is, if we developed the
cluster-wide TDE first, when we develop table/tablespace TDE on top of
that we would need to change TDE so that table/tablespace TDE can
encrypt even non-user data related data while retaining its simple
user interface, which would rather make the feature complex, I'm
concerned. We can support them as different TDE features but I'm not
sure it's a good choice for users.

From perspective of  cryptographic, I think the fine grained TDE would
be better solution. Therefore if we eventually want the fine grained
TDE I wonder if it might be better to develop the table/tablespace TDE
first while keeping it simple as much as possible in v1, and then we
can provide the functionality to encrypt other data in database
cluster to satisfy the encrypting-everything requirement. I guess that
it's easier to incrementally add encryption target objects rather than
making it fine grained while not changing encryption target objects.

FWIW I'm writing a draft patch of per tablespace TDE and will submit
it in this month. We can more discuss the complexity of the proposed
TDE using it.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada
NTT Open Source Software Center

Сообщение: Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)
Сообщение: Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)