Re: Added schema level support for publication.

От Masahiko Sawada
Тема Re: Added schema level support for publication.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Oct 29, 2021 at 1:35 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 9:55 AM vignesh C <vignesh21@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for committing the patch, please find the remaining patches attached.
> > Thanks Hou Zhijie and Greg Nancarrow for sharing a few comments
> > offline, I have fixed those in the attached patch.
> >

> Pushed the first test case patch. About
> v48-0002-Add-new-pg_publication_objects-view-to-display-T, I think it
> doesn't display anything for "for all tables" publication. Instead of
> selecting from pg_publication_rel, you can use the existing view
> pg_publication_tables to solve that problem.
>
> Having said that, I am not completely sure about the value of this new
> view pg_publication_objects which displays all objects of
> publications. I see that users might want to see all the objects that
> the publication publishes and when we include other objects like
> sequences it might be more helpful.
>
> Sawada-San, others, what do you think? Is it really useful to have such a view?

I haven't followed the discussion on pg_publication_objects view but
what is the primary use case of this view? If it's to list all tables
published in a publication (e.g, "select * from pg_publication_objects
where pubname = 'pub1'), pg_publication_objects view lacks the
information of FOR ALL TABLES publications. And probably we can use
pg_publication_tables instead. On the other hand, if it's to list all
tables published in FOR ALL TABLES IN SCHEMA publications (e.g.,
"select * from pg_publication_object where objtype = 'schema'), the
view doesn't show tables published in such publications.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada
EDB:  https://www.enterprisedb.com/