Calculating mem requirements for parallel queries and Docker and coredumps!

От Jorge Torralba
Тема Calculating mem requirements for parallel queries and Docker and coredumps!
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
So this weekend we ran into the the docker limit of 64m for /dev/shm in one of our highest volume db's in production which we just upgraded to 11 from 9.5. The typical ERROR: could not resize shared memory segment .... was flooding our log files and we were core dumping constantly. We had to set max_parallel_workers_per = 0 in order to disable the feature. This resolved the problem but . took away a feature were looking forward to use.

Our system is 44 cores with 300 gigs of ram, 75 gig shared_buffers, 250mb work_mem and 600 max _connections although we use 270 consistent connection remainders are for redeploy that consume additional connections while others expire.

Having said all this, the parallel query options where all default values and we were brought to our knees.

So, I cannot find any documentation anywhere that would help me calculate the size for shm_size and have docker started with that value. Are there any tios or formula to help with this ?

Lastly, is there a way to turn off postgres core dump on segfaults ? Every time we generated the could not resize error, it generated a core dump which killed IO on the system.

Thanks

Thanks,

Jorge Torralba

Note: This communication may contain privileged or other confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not print, copy, retransmit, disseminate or otherwise use the information. Please indicate to the sender that you have received this email in error and delete the copy you received. Thank You.