Figuring out the correct age of datfrozenxid

От Yuri Niyazov
Тема Figuring out the correct age of datfrozenxid
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Trying to figure out how to handle the following:

Our alerts that check whether a table is coming close to the 2 billion point mark started firing on a database. We noticed that the table that had the biggest age had a vacuum running on it that hasn't finished in 85 days. It was a table that was no longer use, so instead of restarting the vacuum, we truncated and deleted the table, expecting that would get rid of the need to vacuum the table.

Afterwards, running the two queries from the documentation at https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/routine-vacuuming.html produces the resutls below, the TL;DR of which is:

all the tables have a very reasonable age, but the database itself still has an age approaching two billion. So, what do we do now? Were we wrong to truncate and drop this unneeded table without letting a vacuum on it finish?

academia_notifications=# SELECT c.oid::regclass as table_name,

       greatest(age(c.relfrozenxid),age(t.relfrozenxid)) as age

FROM pg_class c

LEFT JOIN pg_class t ON c.reltoastrelid = t.oid

WHERE c.relkind IN ('r', 'm') and greatest(age(c.relfrozenxid),age(t.relfrozenxid)) > 100000000;

             table_name             |    age

------------------------------------+-----------

 notification_messages              | 227283989

 information_schema.sql_features    | 177276271

 information_schema.sql_parts       | 177276271

 user_notification_message_activity | 159132783

 bundles_tmp                        | 177276271

 bundles_old_int_id                 | 244381510

 bundles                            | 146576938

(7 rows)

academia_notifications=# select datname, age(datfrozenxid) FROM pg_database;

        datname         |    age

 template1              | 1901010993

 template0              | 1901010993

 academia_notifications | 1951010993