Re: [HACKERS] PG10 transition tables, wCTEs and multiple operationson the same table

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: [HACKERS] PG10 transition tables, wCTEs and multiple operationson the same table
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 3:41 PM, Marko Tiikkaja <marko@joh.to> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 10:25 PM, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@gmail.com> wrote:

>> It took years to get an in-depth review, then I was asked
>> not to commit it because others were working on patches that would
>> conflict.  That just doesn't leave enough time to address these
>> issues before release.  Fundamentally, I'm not sure that there is a
>> level of interest sufficient to support the effort.

> I can only say that the lack of this feature comes up on a weekly basis on
> IRC, and a lot of people would be disappointed to see it reverted.

Well, at PGCon I talked with someone who worked on the
implementation in Oracle 20-some years ago.  He said they had a team
of 20 people full time working on the feature for years to get it
working.  Now, I think the PostgreSQL community is a little lighter
on its feet, but without more active participation from others than
there has been so far, I don't intend to take another run at it.
I'll be happy to participate at such point that it's not treated as
a second-class feature set.  Barring that, anyone else who wants to
take the patch and run with it is welcome to do so.

--
Kevin Grittner
VMware vCenter Server