Re: what to revert

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: what to revert
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 3:39 AM, Ants Aasma <ants.aasma@eesti.ee> wrote:
> 5. mai 2016 6:14 AM kirjutas kuupäeval "Andres Freund" <andres@anarazel.de>:

Basically this feature allows pruning or vacuuming rows that would
still be visible to some snapshots, and then throws an error if one
of those snapshots is used for a scan that would generate incorrect
results because of the early cleanup.  There are already several
places that we relax the timings in such a way that it allows
better performance by not being as aggressive as theoretically
possible in the cleanup.  From my perspective, the performance
problems on NUMA when the feature is in use just show that this
approach wasn't taken far enough, and the solutions don't do
anything that isn't conceptually happening anyway.  Some rows that
currently get cleaned up in vacuum N will get cleaned up in vacuum
N+1 with the proposed changes, but I don't see that as a semantic
change.  In many of those cases we might be able to add some
locking and clean up the rows in vacuumm N-1, but nobody wants
that.

>>> FWIW moving the maintenance to a clock tick process will not change user
>>> visible semantics in any significant way. The change could easily be
>>> made in the next release.
>>
>> I'm not convinced of that - right now the timeout is computed as a
>> offset to the time a snapshot with a certain xmin horizon is
>> taken. Moving the computation to GetNewTransactionId() or a clock tick
>> process will make it relative to the time an xid has been generated
>> (minus a fuzz factor).  That'll behave differently in a number of cases,
>> no?

Not in what I would consider any meaningful way.  This feature is
not about trying to provoke the error, it is about preventing bloat
while minimizing errors.  I have gotten many emails off-list from
people asking whether the feature was broken because they had a
case which was running with correct results but not generating any
errors, and it often came down to such things as cursor use which
had materialized a result set -- correct results were returned from
the materialized cursor results, so no error was needed.  As long
as bloat is limited to something near the old_snapshot_threshold
and incorrect results are never returned the contract of this
feature is maintained.  It's reaching a little bit as a metaphore,
but we don't say that the semantics of autovacuum are changed in
any significant way based slight variations in the timing of
vacuums.

> Timeout is calculated in TransactionIdLimitedForOldSnapshots() as
> GetSnapshotCurrentTimestamp() minus old_snapshot_timeout rounded down to
> previous minute. If the highest seen xmin in that minute is useful in
> raising cleanup xmin the threshold is bumped. Snapshots switch behavior when
> their whenTaken is past this threshold. Xid generation time has no effect on
> this timing, it's completely based on passage of time.
>
> The needed invariant is, that no snapshot having whenTaken after timeout
> timestamp can have xmin less than calculated bound. Moving the xmin
> calculation and storage to clock tick actually makes the bound tighter. The
> ordering between xmin calculation and clok update/read needs to be correct
> to ensure the invariant.

Right.

--
Kevin Grittner