Re: Occasional lengthy locking causing stalling on commit

От Ben Hoskings
Тема Re: Occasional lengthy locking causing stalling on commit
Дата
Список pgsql-general
G'day all,

A quick follow-up on this issue for interest's sake. The stalling we
were seeing turned out to be a Cloud SQL issue and not related to our
listen/notify usage.

Cloud SQL has an automatic storage increase process that resizes the
underlying disk as required to account for cluster growth. As it turns
out that process occasionally causes I/O to stall for a brief window.
https://cloud.google.com/sql/docs/postgres/instance-settings#automatic-storage-increase-2ndgen

The workaround supplied by Google is to manually provision slack
storage in larger increments to prevent the more frequent automatic
increases, which happen 25GB at a time on a large cluster.

We didn't make the connection because disk resize events are not
visible in any logs; Google Support found the issue by correlating the
timestamps of our observed outages with their internal logs.

Hopefully this is useful for someone else. Thanks again for your help
Tom - your advice on listen/notify locking on commit was very useful
despite not being the cause in this case.

Cheers
Ben