Re: unicode match normal forms

От goldgraeber-werbetechnik@t-online.de
Тема Re: unicode match normal forms
Дата
Список pgsql-general
>> > the decomposed form. Is there any way to make a semi-exact match that accepts both variants?
>> > This question  is not about fulltext but about matching filenames across a network - I wish to avoid two
equally-looking
>> > filenames.
>> LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH DIAERESI U+00E4

Hi Matthias,

unfortunately there also is letter a with combining dieretic - and it is used by MacOS
The mac seems to prefer decomposed characters in other contexts as well, so in my
everyday job I used to have fun with product catalogues from a few companies.
Depending on the computer used for adding / editing a productthe relevant field could be
iso-latin-1, utf8 normal, or utf8 decomposed

>> Said that, having such chars (non ASCII) in file names, I count as a bad
>> idea.
I usually try to avoid whitespace and accented charactersin filenames, to be able to use ssh and scp
without much hassle, but I am not the user in this case.

Now, if I look at a music collection (stored as folders with mp3 files for the tracks), I would really prefer
"Einstürzende Neubauten" over Einstuerzende_Neubauten

Regards
Wolfgang