Re: jsonpath

От John Naylor
Тема Re: jsonpath
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 1:43 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> John Naylor <john.naylor@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> > Attached is a patch to fix some minor issues:
> > -misspelling of an error message
>
> Yeah, I'd noticed that one too :-(.  I think the whole jsonpath patch
> needs a sweep to bring its error messages into line with our style
> guidelines, but no harm in starting with the obvious bugs.
>
> > -Commit 550b9d26f80f failed to update the Makefile comment to reflect
> > how the build changed, and also removed the clean target, which we now
> > have use for since we later got rid of backtracking in the scanner.
>
> Right.  I'm not really sure why we're bothering with anti-backtracking
> here, or with using speed-rather-than-code-space lexer optimization
> options.  It's hard for me to credit that any practically-useful jsonpath
> pattern would be long enough for lexer speed to matter, and even harder to
> credit that the speed of the flex code itself would be an important factor
> in the overall processing cost of a long jsonpath.  Still, as long as we
> have the code it needs to be right.

I was wondering about that. I measured the current size of
yy_transition to be 36492 on my machine. With the flag -Cfe, which
gives the smallest representation without backtracking, yy_nxt is 6336
(there is no yy_transition). I'd say that's a large enough difference
that we'd want the smaller representation if it makes little
difference in performance.

--
John Naylor                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/