Re: pg_dump does not include database-level user-defined GUC variables?

От Abelard Hoffman
Тема Re: pg_dump does not include database-level user-defined GUC variables?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 12:39 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 09/16/2014 10:33 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 8:43 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
Abelard Hoffman <abelardhoffman@gmail.com> wrote:
I have a user-defined GUC variable that was set at the db level. e.g.,

   ALTER DATABASE mydb SET myapp.user_id TO '1'

Works fine. When I do a pg_dump, however, that variable isn't included.
Is that expected? It's not really an attribute of the database?

That sort of information *about the database* is stored at the
cluster level, not in the database itself.  Take a look at
pg_dumpall.
[snip]

If I am looking to recreate a database I am not getting the same one. At the least it should be accessible via pg_dumpall -g so you could do individual database dumps and get the database guc without having to dump the entire cluster.

Yes, that's exactly what bit me.  I was trying to figure out why a restore of a db was failing all tests, and discovered the missing GUCs in the dump.
There may be reasons for it living at the cluster level, but I suspect most users will expect pg_dump to include them.

AH