Re: Danger of automatic connection reset in psql

От Oleksandr Shulgin
Тема Re: Danger of automatic connection reset in psql
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 5:37 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

> How about, instead of all this, adding an option to psql to suppress
> the automatic reconnect behavior?  When enabled, psql just exits
> instead of trying to reconnect.

+1. But, existing users may not notice addition of the new option and
still continue to face problem. If we add the option and make it
default not to reconnect, they will notice it and use option to get
older behaviour, but that will break applications relying on the
current behaviour. Either way, users will have at least something to
control the connection reset.

The reconnect in not interactive mode is a bad idea - and there should be disabled everywhere (it cannot to break any application - the behave of script when a server is restarted must be undefined (100% if ON_ERROR_STOP is active). In interactive mode it can be controlled by some psql session variables like AUTOCOMMIT.

Yes, I've never suggested it should affect non-interactive mode.

Automatic connection reset is a nice feature for server development, IMO.  Is it really useful for anything else is a good question.

At least an option to control that behavior seems like a good idea, maybe even set it to 'no reconnect' by default, so that people who really use it can make conscious choice about enabling it in their .psqlrc or elsewhere.

--
Alex

От: Amit Kapila
Сообщение: Re: Fix checkpoint skip logic on idle systems by tracking LSN progress
От: valeriof
Сообщение: Re: Transaction user id through logical decoding