Re: psql UPDATE field [tab] expands to DEFAULT?

От Tim Cross
Тема Re: psql UPDATE field [tab] expands to DEFAULT?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 at 09:34, Ken Tanzer <ken.tanzer@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 4:24 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 6/17/19 3:03 PM, Ken Tanzer wrote:

> So I'm curious if this is intended behavior, if it's considered useful,
> and/or if it's a placeholder for something in the future that will be
> useful.  Also, is this new, as I've never noticed it before?

Not sure how long that has been around.

My cheat for dealing with many/long column names is:

Thanks Adrian, though I wasn't really seeking tips for column names.  I was instead trying to understand whether this particular tab expansion was intentional and considered useful, and if so what that usefulness was, because it's rather escaping me!

Cheers,
Ken

Have to say, I fid that behaviour unusual as well. I would expect that once I've typed some characters, the completion mechanism would attempt to complete based on the characters I've typed and if it cannot, to do nothing. Instead, what happens is that what I have typed is replaced by 'default'.  For example, if I type

update my_table set my_col = other_t

and hit tab, 'other_t is replaced by 'default', which is of no use. What I would expect is for tab to either complete (possibly only partially if there is multiple candidates) what it could for candidates which start with 'other_t' e.g. 'other_table' or it would do nothing i.e. no completion candidates found, telling me there is no match based on the prefix I've typed.

--
regards,

Tim

--