Fwd: Postgres JDBC, WS and commit

От Kevin Carr
Тема Fwd: Postgres JDBC, WS and commit
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Sorry, first time post to the list, and didn't see that my answer wasn't posted to the list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kevin Carr <kscarr73@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, May 9, 2012 at 12:03 PM
Subject: Re: [JDBC] Postgres JDBC, WS and commit
To: mephysto <mephystoonhell@gmail.com>

I can't imagine you would really want this feature at the Pool level.  A connection pool is a set of connections available to the application.  Thus saying, each time you getConnection on the pool, you have no idea which connection you are specifically getting.  You run the risk of a "Connection" on the pool being in a transaction state, and no way of getting to that specific connection to continue the transaction.

Depending on how your code is written, you could pull a connection start a transaction, and hold onto that connection through the various manipulations in a single request.  You would have more control over what is happening in the connection that way, and you are guaranteed that the connection is the same one for all manipulations you have.

You could extend the pool classes and create a "Hold" type of connection, it depends on how you have your code written.  If you have full control over how the connection is retrieved then you could easily modify to put a Session type request to get a specific connection from the pool.  It is MESSY though.